A few months ago Peloton announced that Peloton users will now be able to use the Apple Watch with their workouts.
It is the perfect combination of these two tech giants aiming to offer seamless connectivity between two popular brands related to the fitness industry.
So, How To Connect Apple Watch to Peloton Bike+?
Here is How To Connect Apple Watch to Peloton Bike+:
- Step 1: On the Peloton Bike start either a live or an on-demand class
- Step 2: Once the class starts, you will see an Apple Watch icon on the top of the screen
- Step 3: Tap on it and you should get a notification on the Apple Watch.
- Step 4: Open the Gymkit feature on your iPhone or Apple Watch
- Step 5: Look for the Detect Gym Equipment feature on the app
- Step 6: Once you get a message that says Connecting on the Apple Watch, tap on the OK option on the watch
Your watch and the Peloton bike+ should now get connected.
Once the class gets over, the connection is automatically terminated.
How to connect Peloton Bike to Apple Watch?
Due to compatibility issues between Apple and older Peloton models, you will need to use a 3rd party app like BlueHeart to connect both devices.
Here is how to connect Peloton Bike to Apple Watch:
- Step 1: Download the BlueHeart app on the iPhone and launch it
- Step 2: Create a login if prompted and choose if you want an ad-free version or not
- Step 3: You will see two options – Run and Spin. Run is for Tread and Spin is for Bike. Select as per your requirement
- Step 4: Now click on Connect to you Equipment option
- Step 5: Through the Peloton screen, add a new heartrate monitor/device. Once you do, you will either see your iPhone or the BlueHeart app listed there. Select it
Upon completion, your heart rate will be displayed both on the Apple Watch and the Peloton screen
How to use Peloton app on Apple Watch?
Here is how to use Peloton app on Apple Watch
- Download the Peloton app on your iPhone from the App Store
- Open the app and then click on More
- From the list of add on features, select Apple Watch and then select Set Up
- Now click on Install. This will install the Peloton app on your Apple Watch
You can also configure the Apple Watch to track your fitness metrics and here is what you will need to do to enable it.
- Once you install the Peloton app on the Apple Watch, you should get an option to connect it to the Apple Health app as well
- Edit the settings to ensure that all relevant options for health tracking are selected and enabled
- Ensure that the Location Sharing, Motion & Fitness, and Track Your Movement options are all enabled
Once you do this, the Health app on your Apple Watch will also track your fitness data.
How to start a Peloton class with the Apple Watch?
You cannot start or stop a Peloton class directly from the Apple Watch but can do so from your iPhone. Once the class starts, you will be able to see your workout data on the Apple Watch.
After the class is over, the Apple Watch will display the summary of your session.
Start a peloton class from iPhone
- To start a Peloton class from the app, launch the app on your iPhone
- Disable low power mode on the iPhone and Watch (if activated)
- On the Peloton app, start a class and you will see the stats shown on the Apple Watch
End a peloton class from iPhone
On the Apple Watch, there is an option called Done. If you click on that, it might NOT stop the session.
To end the class, unlock your iPhone and on the Peloton app, select the option to end the class.
Are all Peloton devices compatible with Apple Watches?
No. The Apple Watch can directly connect with the Peloton Bike+ model only. It cannot be connected to the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, and Peloton Tread+.
For Apple Watch to be connected with the Peloton Bike+ device, here is what you will need
- iOS version of iOS 13 or later
- Apple WatchOS 6 or later
- Peloton Bike+
These are the same conditions that need to be fulfilled if you want to only use the Peloton app on your iPhone and Apple Watch. You can also use the Peloton app on an Apple iPad, iPod Touch, and Apple TV.
What data can I see on the Peloton app for Apple Watch?
You should be able to see your entire workout history on the Peloton app for Apple Watch including
- Heart rate
- Total distance covered
- Total elevation achieved
- Total calories burnt
Through the Peloton app on the iPhone, you will also be able to view the Leaderboard (Here Now Leaderboard). However, do note that the leaderboard can only be seen via the Peloton app on the iPhone and not the Apple Watch.
Do I need a Peloton Bike to use the Peloton app on Apple Watch?
No. The Peloton app works independent from the Peloton hardware.
To use the Peloton app, you will need to purchase the app membership. To take the membership, here is what you need to do.
- Download and install the Peloton app on your iPhone
- Launch the app and click on Get Started
- The app will prompt you to create a login
- Once done, you will be prompted to take a membership to access all content
Make the payment and you now have access to all the content through the Peloton app
Seamless connectivity and ease of fitness data monitoring are the main reasons why people prefer using the Apple Watch with Peloton products.
However, there are some limitations around it discussed in this article.
Hopefully, you have now understood how the Apple Watch works with Peloton products.
The Apple Watch is not a substitute for the Peloton app on your iPhone or the Peloton screen.
The amount of data displayed on the Watch is limited but you can track real-time data such as the heart rate, distance, speed, etc.